Confidentiality: Information about the person whom the Respite contractor is supporting, and information about your household must remain private. You have the right to insist on such.
Tips on keeping open communication: Communication should flow freely between you and the Respite contractor in regards to the respite care that needs to be provided.
This will assist in providing the best possible respite care.
- The best feedback is straight forward and simple. State what needs to be discusse.
- Discuss the specific behaviour that is concerning you and what your expectations are
- Refer back to the contract if you feel the concern is something you’ve already agreed upon
- Allow the Respite contractor to respond to your concerns
- If you suspect or have witnessed abuse (physical, emotional, verbal, financial), terminate the relationship immediately. You may also call the police
- Reach agreement with the Respite contractor as to the changes expected
- Refer to the signed contract if needed
- Follow up by letting the Respite contractor know if you feel that things are improving or not
- Positive comments along the way let the Respite contractor know his/her efforts are appreciated
Dealing with concerns:
If you have any questions about the contract, you may call the
- Ministry of Labour, Ontario Government Complex,Highway 101 East South Porcupine, ON PON 1HO; Health and Safety 1-800 461-9846
Employment Standards Branch 1-800-531-555
- Complaint Courier http://consumerinformation.ca; or email email@example.com Contact:& Canada Office of Consumer Affairs 235 Queen Street C.D.Howe Building,Ottawa Ontario, K1A OH5 Telephone: (613) 946-2576
Another resource you may wish to contact is the
- Arch Disability Law Centre http://www.archdisabilitylaw.ca ARCH Disability Law Centre is a specialty community legal aid clinic dedicated to defending and advancing the equality rights of people with disabilities in Ontario email:firstname.lastname@example.org ARCH Disability Law Centre 425 Bloor Street East, Suite 110Toronto, ON M4W 3R5 Telephone toll-free: 1-866-482-2724