Program Name: Special Services at Home (SSAH)
For information call: 1-800-265-4197
c/o Ministry of Community and Social Services
217 York St. Suite 203 PO Box 2152 London, ON N6A 5R1
In Perth County your SSAH coordinating agency is Family Services Perth Huron 42 Waterloo St. S. Stratford, ON N5A 4B4 519-273-1020
The Special Services at Home (SSAH) Program helps family’s caring for individuals with a disability. If approved, families are provided with funding to purchase supports and services which they could not normally provide themselves and are not available elsewhere in the community.
What can I use the funding for?
- Personal Development and Growth – This could include helping a person acquire new skills and abilities, such a improving communications skills or supporting a person as he or she undertakes more and more of the activities associated with daily living.
- Respite and Support – respite provides a break for the family and may help avoid burn-out, stress and fatigue. It provides an opportunity for the family to have a different experience, build new relationships and learn new skills
Who can apply?
- Parents, family members, and legal guardians of children with a developmental or physical disability under the age of 18 and adults with a developmental disability
- Individuals 16 years of age or older with a disability can apply on behalf of themselves.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, the individual with the disability must be:
- Residents of Ontario;
- Have ongoing functional limitations as a result of a disability;
- Require support beyond that which is a normal family responsibility; and
- Be living at home with their families or living away from their family's home but not residing in a Ministry-funded residential setting
How do I apply?
- You can apply by filling out an application on your own or with the assistance of an agency or professional. In Perth County, Special Services at Home Coordinators can help you with this. Call 519-273-1020 for information or assistance, or email us firstname.lastname@example.org. You can obtain an application by clicking on the following link Special Services at Home Application or by contacting your local Regional Office.
- You will need medical documentation clearly confirming the diagnosis of the individual with the disability.
How are funding decisions made?
Applications are reviewed and assessed by a Special Agreements Officer who sets priorities based on several factors such as:
- The type and amount of service your family needs;
- What you need in order to enhance your ability to cope with providing care;
- The complexity of the support required as a result of the level of the ongoing functional limitation;
- Supports and services currently available in the community;
- Support networks of the individual and family;
- Locally identified priorities; and
- Availability of funds.
Since SSAH operates on a fixed allocation of funding, it is necessary to re-apply for services every year.
If you are reapplying for SSAH for personal development and growth, you can use a copy of the Special Services at Home Progress Report .
Who do I contact for more information?
Your local Ministry of Community and Social Services' regional office can help you find your local service provider.