The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) program provides financial assistance to parents to help with the extraordinary cost related to their child's severe disability. It is a direct funding program for low and moderate income families.
Who Can Apply?
A parent or legal guardian whose child is under the age of 18 years, lives at home, and has a severe disability.
What the program pays for
What is included in the benefit?
- travel to and from medical appointments
- specialized clothing
- caregiver respite (relief)
- wheelchair repairs
- assistive devices
- hearing aids and batteries
- prescription drugs
- dental care
How is the decision made?
- the amount of financial assistance is determined based on your yearly extraordinary expenses and your gross family income. Minimum monthly payment is no less than $25 per month and no more than $440 per month
- a drug card
- a dental card (basic coverage)
- vision and hearing
- items related to vision and hearing services
- the consumer contribution for an assistive device under the Assistive Devices Program
- the cost of an assessment for an assistive device and the cost of batteries and repairs necessary for the mobility devices
What are the Income Qualifications?
- applications are reviewed and assessed by a Special Agreements Officer who determines eligibility and the amount of money a family can receive based on:
- the age of the child
- household gross income •the number of children in the home
- the extent to which the child is severely limited in activities pertaining to normal living
- the expenses that the parent/guardian is incurring or might incur soley by reason of the severe disability of the child
The ACSD program is for low to moderate income families.
How to Apply
- contact your local regional office to request an application or by visiting the link to the Ministry of Children and Youth Services
- complete the application form and return it with any documentation required
- a Special Agreements Officer will review your application and will contact you should they need more information
- you will receive a letter saying whether or not you qualify for a grant and if so, how much you will receive