“respiteservices.com working together to facilitate respite options that empower individuals with differing abilities and their families to lead active and rewarding lives.”
“Creating Community Connections”
The guiding principles of respiteservices.com are:
- To develop a comprehensive respite system in Nova Scotia
- To develop and maintain a coherent access process for families of children and adults requiring respite options.
- To facilitate respite options for individuals that match their identified needs.
- To work closely with service providers to advocate for appropriate service options to meet the needs identified.
Respite care is a family support service that promotes active living and provides temporary relief from the physical and emotional demands involved in caring for a family member who has a disability. Respite creates greater opportunities for all family members to live actively and participate in community activities and allows parents/guardians time for themselves.
There is a Respite Coordinator for the Nova Scotia Western Region arm of respiteservices.com. They will assist families in developing a respite plan to meet the needs of their children with developmental disabilities. They will provide families with information on respite services available within the province of Nova Scotia. Short-term coordination will be provided in order to overcome barriers to respite for these individuals.
Respite Program Database
The Respite Program Database is an integral part of respiteservices.com. The Respite Program Database aims to recruit a large base of workers interested in supporting persons with a disability to provide meaningful respite opportunities through community based options.
Information and links include:
- Respite service providers and respite options
- How to access respite services in local communities
- Events and training opportunities
- Funding sources
- How to connect with workers and families through the Respite Program Database
Funded and Supported by: Yarmouth Association for Community Residential Options (YACRO)
The Yarmouth Association for Community Residential Options, a not-for-profit Agency, provides residential support for children and adults with disabilities. The Agency exists to enhance each person’s potential to live, work and socialize within the community in the least restrictive, most inclusive manner.
Amy Sarginson - Respite Coordinator
Yarmouth Association for Community Residential Options
6 Thurston St.
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia CAN